WOLFSONIAN MUSEUM VISIT

 This was the second time I visited the Wolfsonian, the first time I think it was for WARP. This time around I enjoyed it and payed more attention to work that was displayed thanks to the tour-guide. I tend to not like museums, I kind of drift off and I guess get bored but it was fun when the tour-guide gave the background info about the history of the roots of the Afro-Cuban Jazz, Rumba, Conga and other Afro rooted music that I did not know the origin of. Music which got white-washed by the Americans, starting with the graphics and marketing of these various albums, hiding the origin of the music. Then moving on to the war and political propaganda poster, there were many that I enjoyed, the Italy depictions of the country as a boot was a new one to me but it was smart to do so. There were also some anti-Semitic and racist poster towards other cultures and then having some knowledge that Hitler had hired talented artist to do basically his campaign, like Hugo Boss designed & produced uniforms for the Nazi party during World War II, there were many other graphic designer making posters for the public. I am convinced that good design can sell anything, even if its ethically wrong.

However, my favorite part of the whole day was the books. It was really informational to have the chance to look over all of these books. There were some many inspirational books with designs that I find to be good to learn from. This piece specifically was insane to know the process, having to do one color at a time. I had the most fun looking at all the reference the museum presented to us.

I would visit the Wolfsonian once again to look at books in more detailed manner.

I'm posting more pictures of the pages of some books that I really enjoyed.











Comments

Popular Posts