HELVETICA ANALYSIS

Armin Hofmann was my introduction to Helvetica. I did a lot of research on his work, I visually understood the reason of type size and the importance of leading and tracking, not only that but I now have a tendency to use a grey black as my background and white text. I had a quick Swiss style phase for a bit I liked the geometric intentionality when placing elements and text into specific section in the composition and giving the typeface gravity. I even got his Graphic Design Manual book, it's literally the only graphic design book that I own. It's exciting to know that Helvetica has a documentary about its usage and how other artists see the typeface as.

Massimo Vignelli described typography in a manner that I resonated with me, he stated, "We think that typography is black and white. Typography is really white. It is the space between the blacks that really makes it." He follows this by saying that typography is like music, it is not the notes that make the music but the space between notes. Wim Crouwel speaks of the grid system he implemented into his work, to create order, for him order is typography. Matthew Carter, anatomically dissects the letters and his ideal of type behavior. I was interesting to see how the artist at Haas talked about the type, they speak of the inter-relationship of the figure ground relationship. It was surprising to see how tons of modern companies are using or have used Helvetica as their brand identity, I didn't realized that Helvetica was such a international typeface, it just worked on anything. However, Erik Spiekermann disagrees and I understand his ideal, he says, "Helvetica was a good typeface at the time. It answered a demand. But now it's become one of those defaults, partly because of the proliferation of the computer, it was the default on the Apple Macintosh and also the Windows... it's a default, it's  air, it's just there. You have to breathe, so you have to use Helvetica" Looking through many of the works, films, and pop culture in the era, everything was Helvetica, it became less unique, there no unique personality anymore. Everyone was using Helvetica, this is either good or bad, however the artists sees it and this film explores that.

The film takes place in many sites that I've never been to; however, Helvetica is everywhere and anywhere. Helvetica is a typeface that was created for the purpose of better legibility, while also been modern and clear. Helvetica I guess is one of my comfort types, I know it's simple, I know it'll look good, I know it will fit with the composition. Even the numbers are one of the best I've seen and I've already tried many typefaces and they usually have horrendous numbers. From the film I can understand that these artists wanted a rational typeface which can be applied to all kinds of contemporary information, signs systems or corporate identify for the specific purpose to present it to the public in the best way possible. A neutral font, no meaning, just information.

PS
The sound track in this film is amazing, I love it.







Comments

  1. Jose Superstar Chocce. Thank you, for breaking down this documentary and providing your perspective. I agree, with what you said about Helvetica in that is just so reliable. It is definitely my as you say "comfort-type" as well. You would think the fact that since we see it everywhere, the rebellious designers in us would want to break free and do something different. However, as the good ol saying goes "if it aint broke, dont fix it." This font works for a reason!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts